Global Environmental News
Get environmental news from around the world.
Page Contents: Climate Change News | Global Environmental News | Major Environmental Sites | BP Gulf Oil News Coverage | Environment & Business News | Environment News Sections on Media | Governmental Environment Sites | Environment Multimedia |Blogs
Global Environmental News Get environmental news from around the world. The Internet is especially handy at providing environmental news from major environmental news sources, from major media with environmental sections, from government, about businesses turning green, getting environmental news from multimedia sources and blogs where you can interact with others about our environment.
Climate Change is moving so fast that it is becoming a dedicated page or site from major governments, groups, and news services
- WXshift "Your forecast, with climate context. Your weather, explained. Your world, made a little clearer. WXshift is a collection of independent journalists, climate scientists, and meteorologists working to bring you the latest in weather and climate information. " (Powered by Climate Central)
- InsideClimate News "InsideClimate News is a Pulitzer prize-winning, non-profit, non-partisan news organization that covers clean energy, carbon energy, nuclear energy and environmental science—plus the territory in between where law, policy and public opinion are shaped. Our mission is to produce clear, objective stories that give the public and decision-makers the information they need to navigate the heat and emotion of climate and energy debates. "
- Environmental Health News: "www.EnvironmentalHealthNews.org is published daily by Environmental Health Sciences, a foundation-funded journalism organization founded in 2002. Our daily e-letter, Above The Fold, is available for free. The mission of Environmental Health News is to advance the public’s understanding of environmental health issues by publishing its own journalism and providing access to worldwide news about a variety of subjects related to the health of humans, wildlife and ecosystems.
- Climate Central "The climate crisis isn’t just some far-off threat: it’s a clear and present danger. Galvanized by this sobering reality, Climate Central has created a unique form of public outreach, informed by our own original research, targeted to local markets, and designed to make Americans feel the power of what’s really happening to the climate. Our goal is not just to inform people, but to inspire them to support the actions needed to keep the crises from getting worse. "
- Climate Change & Extreme Weather - from Democracy Now! "Democracy Now! is a national, daily, independent, award-winning news program hosted by journalists Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez. Pioneering the largest public media collaboration in the U.S., Democracy Now! is broadcast on Pacifica, NPR, community, and college radio stations; on public access, PBS, satellite television (DISH network: Free Speech TV ch. 9415 and Link TV ch. 9410; DIRECTV: Free Speech TV ch. 348 and Link TV ch. 375); and on the internet. DN!’s podcast is one of the most popular on the web. "
- The Daily Climate "The Daily Climate is an independent media organization working to increase public understanding of climate change, including its scope and scale, potential solutions and the political processes that impede or advance them. The Daily Climate does not espouse a political point of view on the news but instead reports the issue to the best of our ability. Editorial integrity is the foundation of our mission. Establishing the trust of our readers is a fundamental editorial objective; all of our reporting, editing and publishing adheres to the highest standards of journalism, including honesty, accuracy, balance and objectivity. "
- tcktcktck The Global Call for Climate Change Action "GCCA, the Global Call for Climate Action, represents an unprecedented network of more than 450 nonprofit organizations. Our shared goal is to harness the respective strengths of faith, development, science, environment, youth, labor, and other civil society organizations to achieve a world safe from runaway climate change. The GCCA works to connect and facilitate the efforts of organizations from across the globe; to communicate the urgency of climate change; and to mobilize the public in support of strong, equitable government action at the national and international levels.
- Climate Action Network (CAN) "The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 850 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 90 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels. CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world. "
Responding to Climate
Chante (RTCC) "Responding to Climate Change (RTCC)
is a news and analysis website focused on providing the latest
updates and insight into global low carbon developments. Our
sister website Climate
Change TV (CCTV) offers an online channel hosting interviews
and footage from international climate change and development
summits. Our annual ‘Respond’ publication is distributed at
every major UN climate summit, covering advances in low carbon
policy, technology and research
- ClimateHome "Responding to Climate Change (RTCC) is a news and analysis website focused on providing the latest updates and insight into global low carbon developments. Our sister website Climate Change TV (CCTV) offers an online channel hosting interviews and footage from international climate change and development summits. "
- The ROADTHROUGHPARIS "Your first stop for the information, experts, and analysis you need to follow this year’s climate talks."
- Climate Communication | News "Climate Communication is a non-profit science and outreach project funded by the Rockefeller Brothers Fund and the ClimateWorks Foundation. Climate Communication operates as a project of the Aspen Global Change Institute, a non-profit organization dedicated to furthering the scientific understanding of Earth systems and global environmental change. " from Climate Communication | Science & Outreach
- Climate Change - AlertNet -- from AlertNet - A Thomson Reuters Foundation Service - AlertNet
- Climate Desk "The Climate Desk is a journalistic collaboration dedicated to exploring the impact—human, environmental, economic, political—of a changing climate. The partners are The Atlantic, Center for Investigative Reporting, The Guardian, Grist, Mother Jones, Slate, Wired, and PBS’s public-affairs show Need To Know. "
- Nature Climate Change "Understanding the Earth's changing climate, and its consequences, is a scientific challenge of enormous importance to society. Nature Climate Change is a monthly journal dedicated to publishing the most significant and cutting-edge research on the science of climate change, its impacts and wider implications for the economy, society and policy Nature Climate Change publishes original research across the physical and social sciences and strives to synthesize interdisciplinary research. The journal follows the standards for high-quality science set by all Nature-branded journals and is committed to publishing top-tier original research in all areas relating to climate change through a fair and rigorous review process, access to a broad readership, high standards of copy editing and production, rapid publication and independence from academic societies and others with vested interests. "
- Climate Change in the Great Lakes Region --from Great Lakes Information Network "The Great Lakes Information Network (GLIN) is a partnership that provides one place online for people to find information relating to the binational Great Lakes-St. Lawrence region of North America. GLIN offers a wealth of data and information about the region's environment, economy, tourism, education and more. Thanks to its strong network of state, provincial, federal and regional partner agencies and organizations, GLIN has become a necessary component of informed decisionmaking, and a trusted and reliable source of information for those who live, work or have an interest in the Great Lakes region. "
- Climate-L.org A Knowledgebase of UN and Intergovernmental Activities Addressing Global Climate Change
- Climate News Network "Welcome to The Climate News Network, the free, ready-to-use factual service that brings you the latest news of climate change science. We help both scientists and journalists to overcome the difficulties they face in reporting the vital facts about climate change. Building on our contacts and experience, we offer science an unbiased window to the world, while for journalists we offer news stories about climate change where the implications are spelt out explicitly and authoritatively as context and comment. Using trustworthy sources and straightforward language, we provide journalists with the stories they need in a ready-to-use form which they can use as it stands or adapt to their own circumstances. Our stories are typically about 600 words long. The service is entirely free of charge. "
- Climate - From The Environmental News Network (ENN)
- Climate Change - from Inter Press Service News Agency "Information is an agent of change. Since its inception, back in 1964, IPS has believed in the role of information as a precondition for lifting communities out of poverty and marginalization. This belief is reflected in our historic mission: “giving a voice to the voiceless”– acting as a communication channel that privileges the voices and the concerns of the poorest and creates a climate of understanding, accountability and participation around development, promoting a new international information order between the South and the North. The statutes of the IPS International Association provide a formal organisational framework for carrying out our mission. "
- Climate Code Red "This site was prompted by the publications in 2008 of Climate Code Red: The case for emergency action by Philip Sutton and David Spratt. "
- EPA: Climate Change Newsroom "Welcome to EPA's climate change Newsroom. The Newsroom provides current news and links to EPA and other climate and energy news releases. "
- Climate Progress - from Think Progress "Think Progress is a project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan organization. ThinkProgress was voted “Best Liberal Blog” in the 2006 Weblog Awards and chosen as an Official Honoree in the 2009 and 2012 Webby awards. It was also named best blog of 2008 by The Sidney Hillman Foundation, receiving an award for journalism excellence. In 2009, ThinkProgress was named a “Gold Award Winner” by the International Academy of Visual Arts. "
- E&E Publishing -- The Premier Information Source for Professionals Who Track Environmental and Energy Policy. "Environment & Energy Publishing (E&E) is the leading source for comprehensive, daily coverage of environmental and energy policy and markets. E&E's five daily online publications are considered "must-reads" by people who track and influence energy, environmental and climate policy. (Click here for a description of each of our news services.) "
- Climate Change Google+ Community | "The Climate Change community is a place for discussion and information about climate change and its impact on people, politics and the world. "
- ReportingClimateScience.com "Our mission is to provide independent news on climate science. We are dedicated to fair and accurate reporting of the facts of climate science, developments in climate research and the views of climate scientists. reportingclimatescience.com was set up in 2010 with the aim of reporting on the latest research in climate science. Most of this research is consistent with the mainstream consensus on climate change; but some is not. We publish our reports irrespective of the implications they may have in the climate debate. "
- The "Climate Action Tracker" is an independent science-based assessment, which tracks the emission commitments and actions of countries. The website provides an up-to-date assessment of individual national pledges and currently implemented policy to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions.
- Green Climate Fund "Given the urgency and seriousness of climate change, the purpose of the Fund is to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change. The Fund will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). In the context of sustainable development, the Fund will promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change. The Fund will be guided by the principles and provisions of the Convention. "
- Climate Change - as part of National Public Radio (NPR)
The major sources for Environmental news around the world. Some of these sources are from environmental groups, or universities, and even other governmental agencies.
- Environment News Service "The Environment News Service is the original daily international wire service of the environment. Established in 1990 by Editor-in-Chief Sunny Lewis and Managing Editor Jim Crabtree, it is independently owned and operated. The Environment News Service (ENS) exists to present late-breaking environmental news in a fair and balanced manner. "
- ProPublica "ProPublica is an independent, non-profit newsroom that produces investigative journalism in the public interest. Our work focuses exclusively on truly important stories, stories with “moral force.” We do this by producing journalism that shines a light on exploitation of the weak by the strong and on the failures of those with power to vindicate the trust placed in them. "
- New America Media: Environment - from New America Media "New America Media is the country's first and largest national collaboration and advocate of 2000 ethnic news organizations. Over 57 million ethnic adults connect to each other, to home countries and to America through 3000+ ethnic media, the fastest growing sector of American journalism. Founded by the nonprofit Pacific News Service in 1996, NAM is headquartered in California with offices in New York and Washington D.C., and partnerships with journalism schools to grow local associations of ethnic media. "
- EcoWatch: Uniting the Voice of the Grassroots Environmental Movement "EcoWatch, in partnership with Waterkeeper Alliance, works to unite the voice of the grassroots environmental movement and mobilize millions of people to engage in democracy to protect human health and the environment. This website is the only media source to focus exclusively on the news from more than 1,000 environmental organizations worldwide. In addition, the site showcases original content in its Insights column from leading national voices in the environmental movement, including EcoWatch’s advisory board members—Wendy Abrams, Ed Begley, Jr., Lester Brown, Laurie David, Paul Hawken, Randy Hayes, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Phil Radford, Laura Turner Seydel and Harvey Wasserman. "
- Mongabay.com "With more than one million unique visitors per month, Mongabay.com is one of the world's most popular environmental science and conservation news sites. The news andrainforests sections of the site are widely cited for information on tropical forests, conservation, and wildlife. "
- The European Environment Agency (EEA) is an agency of the European Union. Our task is to provide sound, independent information on the environment. We are a major information source for those involved in developing, adopting, implementing and evaluating environmental policy, and also the general public. Currently, the EEA has 32 member countries.
- Environment New York "Environment New York is a statewide, citizen-based environmental advocacy organization. Our professional staff combines independent research, practical ideas and tough-minded advocacy to overcome the opposition of powerful special interests and win real results for New York's environment. Environment New York's staff draws on 30 years of success in tackling our state's top environmental problems. As part of Environment America, we fight to protect our air, water and open spaces, here in New York, in state capitols across the country, and in Washington, D.C. "
- Environment | iWatch News "The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by Charles Lewis. We are one of the country's oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. Our mission: to reveal abuses of power, corruption and dereliction of duty by powerful public and private institutions in order to cause them to operate with honesty, integrity, accountability and to put the public interest first. iWatch News is the Center's online publication dedicated to investigative and accountability reporting. It provides original and exclusive daily stories as well as in-depth investigations and commentary. "
- News | Riverkeeper from Riverkeeper - NY's Clean Water Advocate "We began as the Hudson River Fisherman's Association and, more than 40 years later, we are New York’s clean water advocate, having helped set worldwide standards for waterway and watershed protection and serving as the model for more than 190 Keeper programs around the globe. "
- Environmental Health News: "www.EnvironmentalHealthNews.org is published daily by Environmental Health Sciences, a foundation-funded journalism organization founded in 2002. Our daily e-letter, Above The Fold, is available for free. The mission of Environmental Health News is to advance the public’s understanding of environmental health issues by publishing its own journalism and providing access to worldwide news about a variety of subjects related to the health of humans, wildlife and ecosystems.
- Mother Jones | Smart, Fearless Journalism "Mother Jones is a nonprofit news organization that specializes in investigative, political, and social justice reporting. We currently have two main "channels": an award-winning bimonthly national magazine (circulation 240,000), and a website featuring new, original reporting 24-7. (In the past we've had a radio show and TV specials; theme parks are in the conceptual stage.) Why should you read or support us? Because "smart, fearless journalism" keeps people informed—"informed" being pretty much indispensable to a democracy that actually works. Because we've been ahead of the curve time and again. Because this is journalism not funded by or beholden to corporations. "
- Environment news and articles from Scientific American --from Science News, Articles and Information | Scientific American "Scientific American understood early on the importance of the Internet, so in March 1996, it launched its own Web site at www.ScientificAmerican.com. The site has grown into a dynamic resource that includes select articles from current and past issues, online-only features, daily news, topic-driven blogs, podcast series, and a video directory. Visitors to the site also have access to Science Jobs, the career board for professionals in the science and technology industries; Scientific American Digital, which houses downloadable issues of the magazine from 1993 to the present; newsletters, RSS feeds and much more. Subscriptions to the magazine can be purchased on the site, and existing subscribers can access their accounts, make online payments or renew a subscription. "
- Nature News Nature is the world's foremost weekly scientific journal and is the flagship journal for Nature Publishing Group (NPG). Launched in 1869, its original mission statement still leads the Group as we develop publications, explore opportunities arising from new technology and serve a growing audience of readers:
- Science News Science News has been published since 1922. This award-winning biweekly news magazine covers important and emerging research in all fields of science. It publishes concise, accurate, timely articles that appeal to both general readers and scientists, reaching nearly 130,000 subscribers and more than one million readers.
- Environment news -from Stateline.org Stateline.org is a nonprofit, nonpartisan online news site that practices journalism in the public interest by reporting on emerging trends and issues in state policy and politics. Each weekday, Stateline.org’s staff of professional journalists chronicles the top developments in all 50 states. We then connect the dots through our original reporting and graphics to spot and analyze developments of national significance taking shape in the states. Our goal is to enlighten public debate on topics of importance at the state level, including health care, taxes, immigration, social policy, education, energy, environment, criminal justice, homeland security, transportation and elections.
- CorpWatch CorpWatch: Non-profit investigative research and journalism to expose corporate malfeasance and to advocate for multinational corporate accountability and transparency. We work to foster global justice, independent media activism and democratic control over corporations.
- Environmental News - Environment News, Space News, Earth Science News, Earth Sciences -from PhysOrg.com™ is a leading web-based science, research and technology news service which covers a full range of topics. These include physics, earth science, medicine, nanotechnology, electronics, space, biology, chemistry, computer sciences, engineering, mathematics and other sciences and technologies. Launched in 2004, PhysOrg’s readership has grown steadily to include 1.75 million scientists, researchers, and engineers every month. PhysOrg publishes approximately 100 quality articles every day, offering some of the most comprehensive coverage of sci-tech developments world-wide. Quancast 2009 includes PhysOrg in its list of the Global Top 2,000 Websites. PhysOrg community members enjoy access to many personalized features such as social networking, a personal home page set-up, RSS/XML feeds, article comments and ranking, the ability to save favorite articles, a daily newsletter, and other options.
- Environmental News - Topix Environmental news continually updated from thousands of sources around the net.
- Environment America Environment America is a federation of state-based, citizen-funded environmental advocacy organizations. Our professional staff in 28 states and Washington, D.C., combines independent research, practical ideas and tough-minded advocacy to overcome the opposition of powerful special interests and win real results for the environment. Environment America draws on 30 years of success in tackling environmental problems.
- Environment News - Yahoo! News
- Environment News The latest environmental news headlines from a variety of wildlife, ecosystem, global warming and climate change news sources. -from Alternative Energy News "Welcome to the AENews Network: a comprehensive set of online resources designed to raise public awareness and encourage debate about renewable energy technologies. We are dedicated to providing an open and comprehensive collection of discussions, information, media and news promoting the research and development of renewables. "
- EJToday: Top Headlines | SEJ EJToday is SEJ's selection of new and outstanding stories on environmental topics in print and on the air, updated every weekday.
- World-Wire: One World, One Wire On World-Wire you can transmit your important news to a thousands environmentally relevant organizations and corporations whose primary focus is to keep up to the minute in this fast-changing field.
- Environment - Inter Press Service - Ten years ago the World Social Forum in Porto Alegre burst onto the world stage giving social movements and civil society the space to challenge the orthodoxies symbolised by the World Economic Forum. IPS global news agency was there, and now in 2010 is launching a year of coverage as World Social Forum 2010 promotes more than 35 global, regional and thematic events during the year, on every continent.
- Planet Green : Sustainable Living, Energy Conservation, Earth Day
- Earthbeat Radio Earthbeat Radio is the only hour-long broadcast of any kind in America dedicated entirely to the global warming crisis. Syndicated to over 50 stations nationwide from our Washington, D.C., studios, Earthbeat takes on every aspect of the climate / clean energy issue with interviews, features, humor, and commentary. Launched in 2003, we are an independent radio show produced out of Pacifica Radio’s flagship station WPFW 89.3 FM in Washington.
- YES! Magazine - supporting you in creating a more just, sustainable, and compassionate world — YES! Magazine YES! Magazine is an award-winning, ad-free, nonprofit publication that supports people’s active engagement in building a just and sustainable world.
- Environmental news, energy news, climate change news | MNN - Mother Nature Network
- Post Carbon Institute | Leading the transition to a resilient world "Post Carbon Institute provides individuals, communities, businesses, and governments with the resources needed to understand and respond to the interrelated economic, energy, and environmental crises that define the 21st century. We envision a world of resilient communities and re-localized economies that thrive within ecological bounds. "
- redOrbit – Science, Space, Technology, Health News and Information RedOrbit, Inc., headquartered in Texas, was founded in November 2002. The web site, RedOrbit.com, was launched in May 2003, with the goal of creating the largest, most unique internet community, with the strongest consumer brand, in the most underserved niche on the Web. RedOrbit.com has since become the premier internet destination for space, science, health, and technology enthusiasts around the globe.
- Earth Island Institute | Earth Island Journal For more than 20 years, Earth Island Journal has provided readers with cutting-edge environmental reporting and commentary from around the world.
- The Center for Public Integrity "The mission of the Center for Public Integrity is to produce original investigative journalism about significant public issues to make institutional power more transparent and accountable. To pursue its mission, the Center: "
- Circle of Blue | WaterNews "Circle of Blue is the international network of leading journalists, scientists and communications design experts that reports and presents the information necessary to respond to the global freshwater crisis. It is a nonprofit affiliate of the internationally recognized water, climate and policy think tank, the Pacific Institute. "
- Planet 100: Top Eco News : Videos : Planet Green
- Environment - Global Warming & Sustainability | LiveScience --from LiveScience | Science, Technology, Health & Environmental News
- Earth News : Discovery News - from Discovery News: Earth, Space, Tech, Animals, Dinosaurs, History
- Earth Journalism Network | Empowering environmental journalism worldwide "Internews Network and Internews Europe developed the Earth Journalism Network (EJN) to empower and enable journalists from developing countries to cover the environment more effectively. EJN establishes networks of environmental journalists in countries where they don't exist, and builds their capacity where they do, through training workshops and development of training materials, support for production and distribution, and dispersing small grants. "
- ECOS Magazine "Since 1974, ECOS has reported on sustainability issues from a scientific perspective for Australia’s national scientific research agency, CSIRO.ECOS is published by CSIRO PUBLISHING. Through well-researched features and news updates on current issues and relevant research, ECOS serves as a forum for: invigorating discussion on the environment and sustainability raising awareness of ecological principles, and explaining the challenges and benefits of good sustainable development. ECOS is widely read in the workplace, government departments, universities, schools, libraries and environment centres around Australia "
- Quest - The Science of Sustainability "QUEST’s goals are to explore a diverse array of topics that touch our lives, to spotlight innovations that connect different fields of study, and to offer accurate and insightful reporting that inspires people to engage in informed conversations about our changing world. "
- News Center from the Union of Concerned Scientists "The Union of Concerned Scientists puts rigorous, independent science to work to solve our planet's most pressing problems. Joining with citizens across the country, we combine technical analysis and effective advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for a healthy, safe, and sustainable future. What began as a collaboration between students and faculty members at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1969 is now an alliance of more than 400,000 citizens and scientists. UCS members are people from all walks of life: parents and businesspeople, biologists and physicists, teachers and students. Our members understand that scientific analysis—not political calculations or corporate hype—should guide our efforts to secure responsible changes in government policy, corporate practices, and consumer choices. "
- Public News Service - NY | Global Warming/Air Quality from Public News Service "The Public News Service (PNS) provides reporting on a wide range of social, community, and environmental issues for mainstream and alternative media that amplifies progressive voices, is easy to use and has a proven track record of success. Supported by over 400 nonprofit organizations and other contributors, PNS provides high-quality news on public issues and current affairs. "
- Science World Report - with a section on Nature and Environment
- Ensia is a magazine showcasing environmental solutions in action. Powered by the Institute on the Environment at the University of Minnesota, we connect people with ideas, information and inspiration they can use to change the world.
- Planet Experts "In our politicized climate, the facts concerning local and global environmental issues get distorted and diluted; science has been marginalized. Never before has it been more critical for Planet Experts (i.e., established scientists, journalists, activists) to communicate directly with the public.
- Living on Earth "ith Steve Curwood is the weekly environmental news and information program distributed by Public Radio International. Every week approximately 250 Public Radio stations broadcast Living on Earth's news, features, interviews and commentary on a broad range of ecological issues. Living on Earth is located at the School for the Environment at the University of Massachusetts/Boston."
The Environmental News Network (ENN) is one of the oldest, and most unbiased sources of online environmental news on the web. ENN has consistently earned the loyalty of the most respected insiders like the heads of sustainability at Fortune 500 companies, government leaders or leaders of the largest non-profits. We publish on our website, offer rss feeds and distribute a daily e-newsletter to 36,000 environmental leaders. After 15 years in the environmental space, ENN has assembled a remarkable database of experience, content, contacts and understanding of the environment.
Some of the best environmental news comes from environmental organizations.
- Union on Concerned Scientists "The Union of Concerned Scientists puts rigorous, independent science to work to solve our planet's most pressing problems. Joining with citizens across the country, we combine technical analysis and effective advocacy to create innovative, practical solutions for a healthy, safe, and sustainable future. What began as a collaboration between students and faculty members at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1969 is now an alliance of more than 400,000 citizens and scientists. UCS members are people from all walks of life: parents and businesspeople, biologists and physicists, teachers and students. Our members understand that scientific analysis—not political calculations or corporate hype—should guide our efforts to secure responsible changes in government policy, corporate practices, and consumer choices. "
- National Audubon Society Audubon's mission is to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity. Our national network of community-based nature centers and chapters, scientific and educational programs, and advocacy on behalf of areas sustaining important bird populations, engage millions of people of all ages and backgrounds in positive conservation experiences.
- Earthjustice: Environmental Law: Because the Earth Needs a Good Lawyer, founded in 1971 as the Sierra Club Legal Defense Fund, first used the courts as a conservation tool when it saved the pristine Mineral King Valley in California's scenic Sierra Nevada Mountains from becoming the world's largest ski resort.
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)-- To provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
- Sierra Club Home Page: Explore, Enjoy and Protect the Planet Since 1892, the Sierra Club has been working to protect communities, wild places, and the planet itself. We are the oldest, largest, and most influential grassroots environmental organization in the United States. And our founder, John Muir, appears on the back of the California quarter.
- World Wildlife Fund - Wildlife Conservation, Endangered Species Conservation "For more than 45 years, WWF has been protecting the future of nature. The world’s leading conservation organization, WWF works in 100 countries and is supported by 1.2 million members in the United States and close to 5 million globally. WWF's unique way of working combines global reach with a foundation in science, involves action at every level from local to global, and ensures the delivery of innovative solutions that meet the needs of both people and nature. "
- EWG Home | Environmental Working Group The mission of the Environmental Working Group (EWG) is to use the power of public information to protect public health and the environment. EWG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, founded in 1993 by Ken Cook and Richard Wiles. In 2002, we founded the EWG Action Fund, a 501(c)(4) organization that advocates on Capitol Hill for health-protective and subsidy-shifting policies.
- NRDC: News from NRDC: The Earth's Best Defense
- Environment New York "Environment New York is a statewide, citizen-based environmental advocacy organization. Our professional staff combines independent research, practical ideas and tough-minded advocacy to overcome the opposition of powerful special interests and win real results for New York's environment. Environment New York's staff draws on 30 years of success in tackling our state's top environmental problems. "
- Greenpeace | Greenpeace USA Our core values are reflected in our environmental campaign work: We 'bear witness' to environmental destruction in a peaceful, non-violent manner. We use non-violent confrontation to raise the level and quality of public debate. In exposing threats to the environment and finding solutions we have no permanent allies or adversaries. We ensure our financial independence from political or commercial interests. We seek solutions for, and promote open, informed debate about society's environmental choices.
- U.S. PIRG "U.S. PIRG, the federation of state Public Interest Research Groups (PIRGs), stands up to powerful special interests on behalf of the American public, working to win concrete results for our health and our well-being. With a strong network of researchers, advocates, organizers and students in state capitols across the country, we take on the special interests on issues, such as product safety,political corruption, prescription drugs and voting rights,where these interests stand in the way of reform and progress. "
- National Academy of Sciences: National Academy of Sciences The National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is an honorific society of distinguished scholars engaged in scientific and engineering research, dedicated to the furtherance of science and technology and to their use for the general welfare.
- Daily Environmental News | National Geographic News - from National Geographic - Inspiring People to Care About the Planet Since 1888
- IUCN - IUCN, the International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges en fr es
- IUCN - IUCN, the International Union for Conservation of Nature, helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges. It supports scientific research, manages field projects all over the world and brings governments, non-government organizations, United Nations agencies, companies and local communities together to develop and implement policy, laws and best practice. IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest global environmental network - a democratic membership union with more than 1,000 government and NGO member organizations, and almost 11,000 volunteer scientists in more than 160 countries.
- SKYTRUTH: using remote sensing and digital mapping to educate the public and policymakers about the environmental consequences of human activities SkyTruth uses remote sensing and digital mapping to educate the public and policymakers about the environmental consequences of human activities, and to hold corporations and governments to higher standards of accountability around the globe. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- Earthwatch - Change the World. Yourself Earthwatch Institute is an international non-profit organization that brings science to life for people concerned about the Earth's future.
- EarthFirst EarthFirst.com is a fun, irreverant green blog featuring the latest environmental news, exclusive features, original cartoons and videos. Don’t confuse us with EarthFirst!, the radical enviornmental group known for acts of protest and civil disobedience – we’re not associated with them at all. We’re passionate about the environment and dedicated to cutting through the eco-fluff to get to the heart of the new green movement. We think there are a lot of greenwashers and opportunists out there who could care less about actively doing some good in the world, and we’re all over them out here on our blog and in our soon-to-be-released video shows. We think green should be fun and cool, and are in love with the power of sarcasm. Greenwashers and jerkasses of the world: beware. We’re watching.
- Center for Biological Diversity The Center for Biological Diversity works through science, law, and creative media to secure a future for all species, great or small, hovering on the brink of extinction.
- The National Academies "The National Academies perform an unparalleled public service by bringing together committees of experts in all areas of scientific and technological endeavor. These experts serve pro bono to address critical national issues and give advice to the federal government and the public. Four organizations comprise the Academies: the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council. "
- Worldwatch Institute "Founded in 1974 by Lester Brown as an independent research institute devoted to global environmental concerns, Worldwatch was quickly recognized by opinion leaders around the world for its foresight and accessible, fact-based analysis. Worldwatch develops innovative solutions to intractable problems, emphasizing a blend of government leadership, private sector enterprise, and citizen action that can make a sustainable future a reality. "
The EnviroLink Network is a non-profit organization which has been providing access to thousands of online environmental resources since 1991.
EcoWatch: Uniting the Voice of the Grassroots Environmental Movement "EcoWatch, in partnership with Waterkeeper Alliance, works to unite the voice of the grassroots environmental movement and mobilize millions of people to engage in democracy to protect human health and the environment. This website is the only media source to focus exclusively on the news from more than 1,000 environmental organizations worldwide. In addition, the site showcases original content in its Insights column from leading national voices in the environmental movement, including EcoWatch’s advisory board members—Wendy Abrams, Ed Begley, Jr., Lester Brown, Laurie David, Paul Hawken, Randy Hayes, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., Phil Radford, Laura Turner Seydel and Harvey Wasserman. "
Industry is now focusing on making their companies more environmentally friendly.
- Green Business | Reuters.com
- ECOSEED - The Global Green Portal "We provide world-class news and financial data coverage, which highlight organizations that are dedicated to sustainable development, ranging from new energy alternatives to emerging technologies. The Ecoseed team of green professionals ensures that our users receive business news from across all world markets through the utilization of global information resources. The data is consolidated into a single, real-time global portal for the convenience of our audience. We not only cover traditional exchange markets, but also emerging markets. These include exchanges focused on the green revolution, such as the most challenging--carbon exchange markets. Ecoseed is a meeting place for the green business community, practitioners, and politicians--on a truly global scale--through our own virtual meeting place and through partner social networks.
- Daily News on Green Business and Climate Change and Sustainable Business Practices | GreenBiz.com GreenBiz.com™, Business Voice of the Green Economy, is the leading source for news, opinion, best practices, and other resources on the greening of mainstream business. Launched in 2000, its mission is to provide clear, concise, accurate, and balanced information, resources, and learning opportunities to help companies of all sizes and sectors integrate environmental responsibility into their operations in a manner that supports profitable business practices.
- Green Energy News The first issue of the weekly Energies newsletter was published in 1996. Green Energy News incorporated the following year. The publication was developed to offer news and commentary in regards to clean, efficient and/or renewable energy in relation to business, technology, issues and policy. Green Energy News is geared to a wide audience ranging from consumers to industry professionals to the educational community to government officials.
- The Daily Green Born on Earth Day 2007, The Daily Green earned a min Best of the Web award for Best New Site, and has since grown into one of the most trusted sources on the Web for news and information about going green. Our mission is to broaden the audience for earth-friendly living by showing how going green is relevant to everyone. Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/about/about-us#ixzz0dp1AEUeA
Think of how much better informed the public would be if every media had a major section of their contents devoted to environmental reporting--like they do sports. Encourage your local media to provide continuous environmental investigative reporting--or find a media that will. Here is a list of major news sources with specific environmental sections:
- Energy and Environment | Environment The environmental section of the The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia
- Green News and Opinion on The Huffington Post - The environmental section of the Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post
- Environment The environmental section of the Utne Reader: Alternative coverage of politics, culture, and new ideas
- BBC News - Science & Environment -The environmental section of the BBC
- The Independent | Environment News - Latest News on Environment Issues and Debates - The environmental section of the The Independent | News | UK and Worldwide News | Newspaper
- Environment - The environmental section of the Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk
- Environmental News - The environmental section of the Times Online | News and Views from The Times and Sunday Times
- Environment news articles and blogs | The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com -The environmental section of the The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
- Environmental News - Get the Latest Global Warming and Conservation Headlines from Across the Globe - MSNBC.com- msnbc.com The environmental section of the Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News- msnbc.com
- Environment & Development | Deutsche Welle -The environmental section of the Home | Deutsche Welle
- The Climate Agenda on washingtonpost.com - The environmental section of the washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines
- Weathering the Climate The environmental section of USA Today
- Environmental News & Environment Information - Los Angeles Times - latimes.com --The environmental section of the Los Angeles Times - California, L.A., Entertainment and World news - latimes.com
- Environment News - Media Monitoring Service by EIN News Established in 1995, EIN News began by supplying business professionals and individuals with relevant and interesting news products. It has grown to become the largest digital news provider in Europe. - EIN News - World News Media Monitoring
- greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay GPG-Green | Green Bay Press-Gazette - The environmental section of the greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press-Gazette | Green Bay news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Green Bay, WI
- Environment News -The environmental section of the The Age - Business, World & Breaking News | Melbourne, Australia
- Climate Change - The environmental section of the Sydney Morning Herald - Business & World News Australia | smh.com.au
- Environment | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ - The environmental section of the Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ
- poughkeepsiejournal.com | Poughkeepsie Environment | Poughkeepsie Journal The environmental section of the poughkeepsiejournal.com | Poughkeepsie Journal | Poughkeepsie news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Poughkeepsie, NY
- Energy & Environment - TheHill.com The environmental section of the TheHill.com
- Environmental News - Bloomberg - The environmental section of the Bloomberg - Business & Financial News, Breaking News Headlines
- B'More Green - The environmental section of thee Baltimore Sun
- Nation of Change Environment - The environmental section of the Nation of Change "At NationofChange, our mission is to help people create a more compassionate, responsible, and value-driven world, powered by communities that focus on positive solutions to social and economic problems. We strive to accomplish this mission through unbiased, independent journalism combined with practical, real-world activism in order to create real-world actionable strategies for change. "
- Environment - The environmental section of the Center for Public Integrity "The Center for Public Integrity was founded in 1989 by Charles Lewis. We are one of the country's oldest and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit investigative news organizations. Our mission: To enhance democracy by revealing abuses of power, corruption and betrayal of trust by powerful public and private institutions, using the tools of investigative journalism. "
- Climate Change - The environmental section of Democracy Now! "Democracy Now! is a national, daily, independent, award-winning news program hosted by journalists Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez. Pioneering the largest public media collaboration in the U.S., Democracy Now! is broadcast on Pacifica, NPR, community, and college radio stations; on public access, PBS, satellite television (DISH network: Free Speech TV ch. 9415 and Link TV ch. 9410; DIRECTV: Free Speech TV ch. 348 and Link TV ch. 375); and on the internet. DN!’s podcast is one of the most popular on the web. "
- Environment - from National Geographic "The National Geographic Society has been inspiring people to care about the planet since 1888. It is one of the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institutions in the world. Its interests include geography, archaeology and natural science, and the promotion of environmental and historical conservation. "
- Environment : NPR The environmental section of the| All Things Considered : NPR
- Yale Environment 360 The environmental section of the ipublication of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies.
- New America Media: Environment - The environmental section of the New America Media "New America Media is the country's first and largest national collaboration and advocate of 2000 ethnic news organizations. Over 57 million ethnic adults connect to each other, to home countries and to America through 3000+ ethnic media, the fastest growing sector of American journalism. Founded by the nonprofit Pacific News Service in 1996, NAM is headquartered in California with offices in New York and Washington D.C., and partnerships with journalism schools to grow local associations of ethnic media. "
- Dot Earth The environmental section of the New York Times.
- Environment The environmental section of the Aljazeera America
- Environment The environmental section of the Irish Times
- Environment The environmental section of the The Times of India
- Environment News The environmental section of Reuters.
- Environment The environmental section of AlterNet "is an award-winning news magazine and online community that creates original journalism and amplifies the best of hundreds of other independent media sources. AlterNet’s aim is to inspire action and advocacy on the environment, human rights and civil liberties, social justice, media, health care issues, and more. Since its inception in 1998, AlterNet.org has grown dramatically to keep pace with the public demand for independent news. We provide free online content to millions of readers, serving as a reliable filter, keeping our vast audience well-informed and engaged, helping them to navigate a culture of information overload and providing an alternative to the commercial media onslaught. Our aim is to stimulate, inform, and instigate."
- Louisiana Environment The environmental section of The Times-Picayune Greater New Orleans
- Environment - The environmental section of The Conversation "A new journalism project featuring content from the sharpest academic minds. The Conversation UK is a pilot site, and we welcome your feedback. "
- Environment The environmental section of The Nation "The Nation will not be the organ of any party, sect, or body. It will, on the contrary, make an earnest effort to bring to the discussion of political and social questions a really critical spirit, and to wage war upon the vices of violence, exaggeration, and misrepresentation by which so much of the political writing of the day is marred. "
- Environment The environmental section of the ABC (Australia)
- GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE The environmental section of the Environmental Protection
- Health and Environment The environmental section of the World Bulletin
- Nature and Technology The environmental section of the Pacific Standard "Pacific Standard grapples with the nation’s biggest issues by illuminating what shapes human behavior. We examine the institutions, customs, psychological tendencies, and galvanizing ideas that define modern life, and we look for insights that will unlock a better future. Through our publications and events, we explore the science of society—focusing on economics, justice, education, and the environment—with a broad community of readers, contributors, and thought leaders. We believe in the power of cutting-edge empirical research to shed new light on human affairs. And we believe in the power of great storytelling to make vivid and persuasive what is otherwise abstract. "
- TIPPING POINT The VICE News blog covering global environment issues and climate change. | The environmental section of Vice News "VICE News is an international news organization created by and for a connected generation. We provide an unvarnished look at some of the most important events of our time, highlight under-reported stories from around the globe, and get to the heart of the matter with reporters who call it like they see it. "
Check official websites by governments for primary information on environmental policies and regulations
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency The mission of EPA is to protect human health and to safeguard the natural environment -- air, water and land -- upon which life depends.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC.gov (www.cdc.gov) is the official Web site of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It is a public domain Web site, which means you may link to CDC.gov at no cost and without specific permission. CDC.gov provides direct access to important health and safety topics, scientific articles, data and statistics, tools and resources – and over 900 topics in the CDC.gov A-Z Index. How to Link to CDC
- DOI: BLM: Bureau of Land Management "BLM is responsible for managing a large spectrum of natural resource values. "
- Climate Change: NASA's Eyes on the Earth
The Internet has been especially useful for the dissimulation of environmental news around the world
Living Planet | Deutsche Welle Deutsche Welle is Germany’s international broadcaster: online, on-screen and over the air. It provides a European perspective to audiences around the world and promotes intercultural dialogue.
Listen to the latest 'Pulse of the Planet' radio broadcast. This needs RealPlayer G2 available via Planet Ark - listen to the show in mono 28kbps or stereo 56kbps formats:
GLRC The Great Lakes Radio Consortium is a news service committed to revealing the relationship between the natural world and the everyday lives of people in the Great Lakes region. This is accomplished by thoughtful and provocative explorations of the environment in a way that reaches the widest possible audience.
Living on Earth: Sound Journalism for the Whole Planet Living on Earth offers a podcast feed of the current show. The url is: http://www.loe.org/podcast.rss
EarthNews » Earth News spans all topics on the environments of Earth and their interactions with society. It provides three types of news from different sources. First, an RSS feed from environmental news services selected by the Earth News editorial staff. Second, stories identified or submitted by authors and topic editors for the Encyclopedia of Earth. Third, stories chosen by the Author of the Week from the ‘Environment in Focus’ topic that week. Earth News editorial staff inserts links into some news stories to connect them with material in the Encyclopedia of Earth.
NatureWatch - 90 second daily feature on public radio
CBC Radio | Quirks & Quarks "Join host Bob McDonald each week to find out the latest in science, technology, medicine and the environment. "
Allegheny Front - Environmental radio for Western Pennyslvania weekly public radio program dealing with environmental issues in Western Pennsylvania
Earthwatch Radio "Earthwatch Radio was inspired by Wisconsin U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson, the founder of Earth Day. Launched in 1972, it was the first radio program in the nation to concentrate on environmental news. When the last show aired 35 years later, this award-winning program had become the longest-running program of its kind."
Climate One Climate One, a special project of the Commonwealth Club, seeks to foster wide-ranging discussions on environmental, energy, and climate change issues, and make these discussions available to a broad range of people around the world. Climate One was founded by Commonwealth Club Vice President Greg Dalton in 2007 after visiting the Arctic Circle aboard a Russian icebreaker. Today, Climate One brings together top leaders from business, government, academic and advocacy groups to advance the march toward a low-carbon economy.
High Plains News Service - weekly public radio program dealing with environmental issues in the Plains' states
Pulse of the Planet - 2 minute sound portraits of planet Earth
The Green Scene - "The GreenScene is a syndicated eco-consumer tip for radio. It's mainstream approach appeals to a wide audience - no politics, no preaching, no science lessons - just good tips that save money and time and clean up the planet.
Green Media Toolshed | Opening the door to successful communications campaigns for the environmental movement "Green Media Toolshed is strengthening the communications infrastructure for the environmental movement. Green Media Toolshed is committed to providing tools and improving the effectiveness of communications among environmental groups and the public."
GLRC A weekly roundup of environmental news from the Great Lakes Radio Consortium. To have each week's Environment Report automatically downloaded to your mp3 player, see our podcasting help page.
Renewable Energy Podcast -from Renewable Energy World - Renewable Energy News, Jobs, Events, Companies, and more RenewableEnergyWorld.com was started in 1998 by a group of Renewable Energy professionals who wanted their work to relate to their passion for renewable energy. With this passion and the desire to create a long term sustainable business, we have created perhaps the single most recognized and trusted source for Renewable Energy News and Information on the Internet.
Nature Podcast - Each week Nature publishes a free audio show. It's hosted by Adam Rutherford and Kerri Smith and features reporters Charlotte Stoddart, Geoff Brumfiel and Natasha Gilbert. Every show features highlighted content from the week's edition of Nature including interviews with the people behind the science, and in-depth commentary and analysis from journalists covering science around the world.
Interact with others as we engage our attention on our environment
- Environmental Thoughts - Rochester, NY Blogging Rochester, NY's environmental issues. Also, RochesterEnvironment.com gives a complete snapshot of one community's (Rochester, New York) environment. Check out RochesterEnvironment.com (http://www.rochesterenvironment.com/) that attempts to focus on making our community a sustainable one.
- Dot Earth from the New York Times By 2050 or so, the world population is expected to reach nine billion, essentially adding two Chinas to the number of people alive today. Those billions will be seeking food, water and other resources on a planet where, scientists say, humans are already shaping climate and the web of life. In Dot Earth, reporter Andrew C. Revkin examines efforts to balance human affairs with the planet’s limits. Supported in part by a John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship, Mr. Revkin tracks relevant news from suburbia to Siberia, and conducts an interactive exploration of trends and ideas with readers and experts.
- Energy and Environment - Green Blog - NYTimes.com
- WiserEarth . . .
- Blob Runner - Environment
- Bob Marcotte's The Word on Birds
- City News Blog
- The Rochester DISSIDENT: news, views, and poems from JACK BRADIGAN SPULA
- Urban Sustainability Project
- Climate Feedback Climate Feedback is a blog hosted by Nature Reports: Climate Change to facilitate lively and informative discussion on the science and wider implications of global warming. The blog aims to be an informal forum for debate and commentary on climate science in our journals and others, in the news, and in the world at large.
- Environment Forum | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters
- Climate Progress Climate Progress is dedicated to providing the progressive perspective on climate science, climate solutions, and climate politics. It is a project of the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization.