Updates Aug - Nov 03
Environmental Protection Agency The fenced 70acre Love Canal site (Site) encompasses the original 16acre hazardous waste landfill and a 40-acre clay/synthetic liner cap. Also, a barrier drainage system and leachate collection and treatment system is in place and operating. The Site includes the "original" canal that was excavated by Mr. William T. Love in the 1890's for a proposed hydroelectric power project but was never implemented. Beginning in 1942, the landfill was used by Hooker Chemicals and Plastics (now Occidental Chemical Corporation (OCC)) for the disposal of over 21,000 tons of various chemical wastes, including halogenated organics, pesticides, chlororbenzenes and dioxin. Dumping ceased in 1952, and, in 1953, the landfill was covered and deeded to the Niagara Falls Board of Education (NFBE).
CHEJ Love Canal - Lois Gibbs was raising her family in Love Canal, near Niagara Falls in upstate New York, when, in 1978, she discovered that her home and those of her neighbors were sitting next to 20,000 tons of toxic chemicals.