The Greater Rochester Environmental Community analysis is an effort to understand the work of organizations to improve our environment in the Rochester Region. The definition of an “environmental organization” is shifting and an intersectional approach that recognizes the role of the social and natural environment in the work of many organizations is needed. The end result is a better understanding of what is being done to build a more sustainable and just community and a research process that models community participation and engagement. Ultimately this project will lead to a more connected and collaborative environmental movement locally, the application of resources in ways that lead to change for those that need it most, and a shared vision that has been developed and adopted by the community. Below, you can find a summary of key findings/insights and next steps for the community; the full analysis report; and a report download link.
1. An intersectional definition and understanding of environmental organizations is needed.
2. There is no “one-size” approach for environmental organizations in our region. They have a wide range of focuses, approaches, and structures.
3. A lack of resources presents a challenge to the organizations engaged in this work.
4. Education is an essential aspect of the work being done in our region.
5. Organizational development, especially leadership development and equity, are priorities but there is a gap in opportunities to learn and energy to address it.
6. People are looking for opportunities to connect, collaborate, and learn from each other. Leadership and structures that facilitate this need to be improved.
7. Organizations are interested in advancing environmental justice but have little understanding of what it means to create environmental justice.
8. There is a need to empower BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) individuals to support an intersectional environmentalism movement, and to ensure the most impacted by injustices are at the table.
Next Steps for the Community
- Allocate resources to support the movement.
- Expand and foster opportunities for connection and collaboration.
- Create accessible opportunities for education & workforce development.
- Continue the work of building shared goals & measurements of success.